No it is not. Hungry World Farm is a learning/educational farm. We do believe spiritual community is formed when we get together. Hungry World Farm will focus on educating people and teaching about sustainable food production through gardening, grain milling, local habitat, and a Farm Learning Center.
Yes, we plan to continue offering u-pick blueberries. Strawberries will mainly be available through CSA and farmers’ markets. 2020 may be the last season for a large strawberry patch.
People connected to Plow Creek Fellowship moved off of the farm except for one couple. Some live in the area. Many moved away. Hungry World Farm started anew – new organization, new people.
No, it will not. People who live there will be working on the farm and have opportunities for spiritual growth, but not meeting as a church on the property. Retreats for spiritual growth will be offered.
Yes, we received a 501c3 non-profit status on November 14, 2017 with the IRS and are allowed to receive tax deductible gifts.
There are many ways you can be involved. Sign up here to receive emails about what is happening at the farm. There will be work days where you can come and volunteer. You can volunteer to help with parts of the gardening process. There will be Hungry World Farm learning days where you can come and learn about permaculture, landscape edible forest, gardening, and regenerative agriculture, to name a few ideas.
Yes. Hungry World Farm will continue to provide fruits and vegetables for the Peoria RiverFront Farmers’ Market and occasionally with the Princeton Farmers’ Market.
The farm can supply 55% of support for itself and the paid employees through sales at farmers’ markets, U-pick berries, and weekly Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) boxes. The remaining 45% will come from donations and grants.
The usual produce in a market garden like tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, corn, apples, strawberries, blueberries, etc. – also some unusual crops like chestnuts.
We currently have smaller animals like goats, sheep, rabbits, ducks and chickens. We think it is important for children and adults to have an up close experience with these types of animals. Goat is a highly consumed meat eaten around the world. It makes sense to us for people to see what a goat looks like in real life.
Tiskilwa is in north-central Illinois (south of Princeton, IL in Bureau County) – about 2 hours from downtown Chicago and an hour from the Mississippi River. The farm is approximately 175 acres with 60 acres tillable, 100 acres of woods on ridges and ravines, 1/2 acre of native hillside prairie and finally, residential areas.